Smart home devices are revolutionizing the way we live our day to day lives, so Alexa has become a permanent fixture in several homes. And since LG is one of the most popular brands when purchasing a smart TV, it is only natural that people want to connect one with Alexa for added convenience. But can you control LG TVs with Alexa?
You are reading: Can I Control My LG TV with Alexa? (How It’s Done)
LG TVs made during or after 2018 with a webOS of 4.0 and up can work with Alexa; all that is required is the LG ThinQ Basic app and Alexa app to link the two devices.
In the remainder of this article, we will further discuss the process of syncing Alexa to your television, what it takes for the devices to run together, and features you can unlock once they’re connected.
How to Check if Your LG TV is Compatible with Alexa
Most LG smart TV models made in or after 2018 with a webOS of 4.0 and higher can sync to an Alexa device. However, if you’re still unsure whether your smart LG TV is compatible with Alexa, you can check your TV’s operating system and if it’s up to date.
- Go to your TV’s settings.
- Click on “General.”
- Find “About this TV.”
- Access the “TV information” menu.
This menu will display which webOS is currently operating on your television. Your TV’s information should display webOS 4.0 or higher. If your LG TV is not up to this OS, see if you have any pending updates; if it is already capable of running with webOS 4, installing the latest update should allow your television to begin syncing to Alexa.
How to Connect LG TV to Alexa
To use Alexa devices with your LG TV, you will need to first download the LG ThinQ app on your smartphone. Create an account if you don’t already have one, and register your TV within the app with the steps provided.
Make sure you also have the Alexa app downloaded to your smartphone, sign in to your account, and add your Alexa-enabled device (make sure it is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your TV). Next, you’ll want to enable the LG ThinQ skill within the Alexa app.
- Read more:
- How to Set Up Private Twitch Stream
- Crop Video with QuickTime Player on Mac
- Dropped AirPods in Water (Do This NOW!)
- How to use fraction (not '/') in Google Docs ?
- Plants vs Zombies: Garden Warfare 2: Best Ways to Earn Coins and Stars
From there, follow these steps:
- Press the home button on your LG TV remote.
- Launch “Set Up TV for Alexa,” which will be displayed on your television.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to link Alexa to LG ThinQ.
(Source: LG Support)
After you have connected Alexa to LG ThinQ Basic, navigate to the menu screen in the Alexa app. From there, you can use voice controls for your LG TV.
What Can Alexa Do with LG TVs?
Your Alexa is capable of much more than just turning your LG TV on. In fact, it can do things such as:
- Turn the TV off
- Change the volume and mute sound
- Switch channelsor apps
- Switch inputs
- Control video playback
- Sync your TV to other smart devices
After syncing Alexa to your LG television, you have endless possibilities; for many, Alexa can be used as a replacement for universal remote controls.
- Read more:
- How do I delete my Samsung account on my TV?
- Dropped your Fitbit in water or want to swim or shower with it? Learn about Fitbit’s water resistancy
- How to Avoid Going Crazy in a World That Seems on Fire
- How To Get Someone To Unblock You on Snapchat
- How Do You Identify a Fake Snapchat Account Quickly?
How to Use Alexa with LG TVs
Alexa is revolutionizing the way we watch TV, so here are a few ways you can use this technology to control your device:
- “Alexa, turn TV off/on.” – With Alexa, there’s no more searching for buttons or that lost remote to switch the TV on and off.
- “Alexa, turn up/down the volume on the TV.” – This command will increase or decrease the volume by one (on a 1 to 10 scale).
- “Alexa, turn TV volume to 10.” – If you know which volume setting you prefer, you can ask Alexa to skip straight to that setting.
- “Alexa, mute TV.” – If you want content on the TV to play without audio, Alexa can now mute and unmute with voice commands.
- “Alexa, change the channel to (number or channel name) on TV.” – Say you are looking for the Weather Channel; you can ask Alexa to navigate straight there for you.
- “Alexa, switch input to HDMI on TV.” – This helps navigate between channels and connected devices, such as gaming systems.
- “Alexa, pause TV.” – This can also be switched with play, stop, rewind, or fast-forward.
(Source: LG Support)
Note: Remember that your Alexa can be connected to multiple devices simultaneously, so it’s important to clarify which device you want to be adjusted. When switching settings on an LG TV, simply add “on TV” to each command.
As long as your LG TV is a smart device updated to a current webOS, there will be no problem running your device with Alexa. After setting up your TV, you can use Alexa voice controls or the Alexa app for all your television needs. Now your home will be that much smarter!